Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pie from the Past


My grandmother (Nana) used to make this pie that we called Crumb Pie or Shoo-Fly Pie. I loved it; we all did. A child, I never wondered what was in it, just happily ate it, as many pieces as I could finagle.

I was at my sister's a few weeks ago (see last blog) and she told me she had the recipe! Yay! So, tonight, Pat and I had our favorite dinner, Pie! And it was Nana's Crumb Pie! Freshly made in my kitchen! And it was... Gluten-full, filling, made of all things I shouldn't eat, not too sweet, high in iron, and absolutely deeeelicious!! We are now contemplating the second piece. This is definitely a depression-era recipe, but one you can try if you need a dessert and have nothing fresh on hand, only staples. The ingredients are flour (lots of it) butter or shortening, molasses or dark syrup, water, cinnamon and a little baking soda. Put into two pie crusts. Now, to make it somewhat healthy (hahaha), I used coconut oil, organic flour, and dark molasses. The pie is easy to cut, has a lovely chewy consistency, with cinnamony crumbles on the top. mmmmm....


3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I'd love to have that recipe! I remember eating shoofly pie as a child. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course! I also have a great photo, but am challenged wrt posting photos from my iPad. But I think I can do the recipe ok!
      Crumb Pie (aka Granger or Shoofly Pie) – from Nanna Mellotte
      (Makes 2 pies)

      Dry ingredients – combine and divide in half:

      3 c flour
      ¾ c butter, Crisco or oil
      2 tsp gr cinnamon
      ½ c sugar (1/4 c light brown + ½ c white or all light brown)

      Liquid ingredients – mix well:

      1 c dark Karo or cooking molasses
      2 c warm water – add 1 tsp baking soda to ½ c of the water


      Pour ½ crumbs into liquid mixture. Pour into unbaked pie shells. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top of pies. Bake 45 mins. At 325-350’ or until the pies rise high.


      Delete