Saturday, December 7, 2013

Our chickens and eggs ARE organic, according to the published USDA guidelines!

I'm so smart! Why didn't I think to actually read the USDA guidelines on organic poultry and eggs before I got all defensive? Well, here it is, folks, directly from the USDA Consumer Brochure: Organic Food Standards and Labels: The Facts: 

"Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones."

Period. That's it. On to the next topic. No mention of feed. So, according to the guidelines, my poultry and my eggs are organic! And, as our small farm makes less than $5,000/yr, we do not need to have a certification to claim organic.

So, all you organic geeks who think you know what, who claim that we have to feed our chickens organic food to say they are organic, you should know that what you buy in the store is only required to adhere to the above guideline to receive their USDA organic certification.

That's all I am saying about that.

I produce, eat, and sell organic chickens and eggs. Period.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a simplified USDA bulletin that helps explain what's organic.
    http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004445

    ReplyDelete