Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The best way I've found to harvest worm compost!

Harvesting worm compost... always a hot topic! I know plenty of people that use a complex screening system, that unfortunately takes a lot of fiddling, and loses some worms. I used to just grab a trowel-full of compost and hand-pick the worms and unprocessed food out, putting them back in the box, and the remaining teaspoon or so of dirt goes in the slowly growing bucket. Good enough, if you have a Netflix movie to watch out by the worm box. Well, I finally have found a way to harvest my worm compost that yields plenty in little time! Look what I got in about 5 minutes:
A big half-bucket of worm-free dirt! How did I do this? Well, the secret is to let the worms work in the full box for awhile without feeding it anymore, so that it is mostly dirt. Thus, I have three worm boxes, about 1 cubic meter each, working. One I am actively feeding, one is getting ready for harvest, and one I am harvesting, whenever I have a few minutes to work with the worms. And what I do is, take the top off and skim the dirt off the top with my trowel. Worms, like vampires, hate the sunlight, and when I scrape off the top fine layer of dirt, the worms that are uncovered dive for darkness, leaving another fine layer to scrape off. Repeat. Until I'm bored. There is a lot of food still in there to keep most of the worms alive until the next box is ready, and harvesting is MUCH easier! Oh, and what do I do when I find the occasional roach in the worm compost? Grab it an take it over to the chickens for entertainment, of course! Chicken-TV!

1 comment: