Saturday, May 3, 2014

Aargh! I broke the primary rule for aging again!

I simply must pay more attention when I walk. I had a big day ahead of me this morning...get up, feed the chickens, feed the pigs, gather eggs, get cleaned up and dressed, have breakfast, conference call at 9, leave for Kona at 10, stop at the feed store, stop at the mail box, stop at the bank, stop at the farmer's market and drop off my fruit bucket and 2 live chickens, direct and play in a bridge game, sell two frozen chickens, stop at Starbucks, pick up my fruit bucket, buy vegetables, drive home, make dinner, practice for tomorrow's performance, stop at Corey's and get her phone number, start editing a paper... Go to bed. Somehow, when I was feeding the chickens, my little favorite friends, my mind strayed...I started doing a cost/benefit analysis on the rest of my day. Before I knew it, BOOM! I stumbled on a rock, and fell to the ground, hitting my forehead on a rock, then my jawbone, then my neck, shoulder, elbows, hips, knees, and came to rest with my face in compacted chicken manure. Of course, I screamed as I fell. The chickens did what they do best - they panicked! They squawked, sounded the alarm, lined up and looked at me. I could almost hear them saying, "Help! Mom fell! We can't pick her up! What do we do? Somebody, come help!" And it worked! Our tenant, Jeana, came running out, "Aunty, are you okay?" And helped me up. I was grateful; the chickens were grateful. But it's a rough way to start the day. I hurt all over. But nothing's broken or bleeding. Concentrate on the task at hand.

I love my chickens, I love my tenants, and I must try to be more present! Sheesh!

Anyone has a chance tomorrow at 10 am at Punalu'u Bakery in Naalehu the Ohana Band, Ka'u School of the Arts, is playing at the Spring Fling. There will also be hula and singing and crafts and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment