Saturday, March 21, 2015

My garden starts to take form!


Slowly..... And sorely.... An hour or so on days I am home, I am working on what will be the vegetable garden. 

My homestead farmer friend came over the other day and helped me build my first grow box. Here's a photo:
You can't see what's inside, but it's layers of organic material. In a few weeks, I will be able to plant things in it. I will likely use this one for pumpkins. The livestock and our family can eat a lot of pumpkin! And plot number one is almost ready for seeding:
 But I guess I'm going to pass on the "humped" rows. My garden advisor (aka homestead farmer friend) advised against the raised rows because they will contribute to increased soil dry-out. Oops. Ok, I'll flatten out and plant tomorrow. These plots, being shallow, will be used to grow lettuce, spinach, chard, collards and similar vegetables that don't require deep soil.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. It's exciting to hear that your seeds are starting to sprout. I don't know about you, but I get a real surge out of seeding the seeds coming up. Congrads.

    ReplyDelete